June 25, 2018

MBSQAL Choose Your Own Adventure



Good morning from Camp Oda May.
My fabric collection in choosing my own adventure is Holy Woods by 3 Sisters.
I could swear I'm one on the sisters.  I love every line they've created.  


 As you start cutting and if you are using Layer Cakes, it is important that you 
flip your template or it will not fit on a 10" square. My suggestion would be
to do the same if you are using fatquarters. 

I used 6 different fabrics.  You will need 4 pedals of each one.

Fold each pedal in half with right sides together.
finger press fold line. Do not iron as this may set the fold
and you will not be able to iron it out

Stitch the folded fabric at the widest part at the top using a 1/4" seam allowance.
On the folded edge side, start the cut up one 1/8" from stitch line and clip off.
There will be less bulk at the tip when you turn the point. 

Open up the stitched seam allowance and finger press open.

Turn tip inside out.  Use a Clover turner to distribute fabric evenly at the inside point.
Line up the stitch line to the folded line and iron in place. 

Now you will decide if you are making one 20.5" Dresden in one piece 
or 4 quartered Dresden's and sewing them together.
Arrange the fabric to your liking and stitch 6 together.

Only the tips will be appliqued in place.  Now add your one quarter center template, 
white in this picture. and applique' in place hiding the bottom of the 6 pedals. 
Continue this 3 more times and sew 
all four together making sue you form a circle.

Sew all 24 pedals together to form a circle.
Fold the 20.5" background square in half and finger press the fold line.  
Open up and fold in opposite direction and finger press that fold line.

Open up and use the fold lines to center your circle. Applique' tips in place.
Your center circle will be a 3.5" circle.  Applique in place. 
Your finished. 



1 comment:

  1. I'm a beginner quilter and would love to make the Dresden block. I have the EZ Dresden ruler.
    How tall are the blades? At which measurement
    on the ruler would I start cutting
    the b lades/petals. T.I.A

    ReplyDelete